Wednesday, May 15, 2013


BLAM! WEEK2

So its week two of my Rhulic Merc project and I must say things are comming along nicely. Last week I posted a picture of Durgen Madhammer (my warcaster) work. I know all of you have been waiting with bated breath to see the finished project. So here ya go:

 I apologize for the fingers and the paper towel. I am working on a photo box, but have not finished it yet. But I digress. I can not really call him finished at this point though, as I still need to rock out some snow on his base. I love snow, for the record, and you will probably see it on just about everything I do.

Also the flash on my camera really popped out the blending I did on the armor. It is way more subtle in person. Hence the reason I have stopped taking pictures with the flash on.


 I am extremely happy with the results on this model. Especially the metal work. I really wanted to get away from using washes as a crutch as I had really become reliant on them for painting models. Don't get me wrong, washes are AMAZING, fucking magic in a bottle, but felt like I was loosing some techniques by using that as much as I had. Generally I felt like the were making me a lazy painter!

SO, I won't lie. I did use the tiniest amount of wash on the silvers, but that was on the original base coat to darken it up. I really wanted a "worn" look on the metals so I wanted to work my way up from a very darkened metallic to a shinier center. I think I got it there. 


On the armor I was going for more a "natural" highlight as opposed to the hard edge look. Something about it is very appealing to me. The armor itself was blended up to give it the worn look as well. I am still undecided on whether or not to do battle damage. I know it looks great, but there is always a small part of my soul that cries out (think of Obi-wan when Alderran Sploded) when I go back and mar up a pretty paint job. So we shall see. 

As much as I enjoyed this model, when I was done I realized that there wasn't actually a lot to him and that I had to go looking for ways to bring texture and tone differences into the mix. That's not to say that I didn't like the figure, cause I think he is awesome. Just I was little surprised is all. Anyway, think that will jsut about cover things for now. As always, leave comments and/or questions! 

OH, and of course:

HOBBY AND THROW DICE LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR!

No comments:

Post a Comment